Monday, July 12, 2010

Portugal. The Man- Satanic Satanist


I heard of this band previously, but in light of Coachella they seemed to be more on my mind. So, I finally picked up a couple of albums, but despite all the accolades I’ve heard about this band, I didn’t have very high expectations. I thought it would be along the lines of the standard indie / Emo that is flooding the market, but Man! was I wrong. Satanic Satanist is probably one of my favorite new pick ups in a while. I am not quite sure how to describe the album, so I stole some one else's words:


"Imagine The Pixies calling up 311 (don’t ask) and inviting them over to Frank Black’s manse to throw a Sly and the Family Stone appreciation party. But half-way through the gala, evil cousins Ween crash in and send the whole night flying off course. And yet, somehow, impossibly, it all works, like a good magic trick."


I might have substituted Ween for Oasis but you get the point.



8 comments:

Dana said...

I don't know if I can get passed the name- freaks me out!

foldreformer said...

Kellee thought the same thing at first, but really the title of the album has nothing to do with the music.

Kellee said...

so they want you to believe!

contrarian 78 said...

Checked em out on Youtube-I didn't get this one. Maybe there's a Sonic Youth parallel?

foldreformer said...

Sonic Youth is static bliss, Portugal is soulful indie. You need to give this band another chance, listen to:

People Say
Lovers in Love

If that doesn't change your mind, then I don't know what can.

foldreformer said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63f4RGOl6DU

Save me, I can't be saved, I won't
I'm a president's son I don't need no soul.
All the soldiers say It'll be alright
we may make it through the war
if we make it through the night
All the people they say
What a lovely day yeah we won the war
May have lost a million men, but we've got a million more All the people they say
Share with me all of your pain I won't
share your love, I need all your love
Save me I can't be saved I won't
I don't need no love
I'm a president's son
It'll be alright now

contrarian 78 said...

Now I know what it is--it's like the new Band of Horses stuff that I don't enjoy....It's not bad, it just doesn't move me. Not like Jonsi :)

Anonymous said...

can you repost this with a music link on it?