Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Kimya Dawson- My Cute Fiend Sweet Princess


Let’s start with this, I’ve never heard a Moldy Peaches record (of which Kimya Dawson was apart). Also,let’s be up front here, the first time I ever heard a song by the woman was in the movie Juno. Yes, I am quite aware I now have no street cred. However, I did take my family to the local record store to see her play, if that restores any dignity I had. The music is upbeat and bouncy, sort of along the lines of kids jingles, while her songwriting is depressing. This was her early work, lo-fi, anti-folk and darkly emotional. Somehow Kimya found a way to strike the balance and it seems to work well for her. Probably not for everyone, the album takes sometime to settle into and enjoy. But it’s rather stirring and hard to put out of your mind, once it’s sunk in.

On a side note, have you ever seen the commercial with the little housewife having the TV gangbangers over for tea and telling them that she is blocking their show from her families house? Pretty clever. But, it's also how I've come to feel about Kimya Dawson's early work. While I admit it's great artistically. It's just way too vulgar to be playing around my kids. I leave it up for you to decide, and I'm sure there are plenty of other bands you can point out to me and state, "but you like them!" Granted, nevertheless, I dropped her some "thumbs" because I can only listen to her when I am alone and then most the time I turn on something else.




No comments: