Sunday, July 11, 2010

The Decemberist- The Crane Wife


I have a tendency to get stuck on an album, making it hard to move on to a band’s other work, which is one reason why I am trying this musical escapade. Case in point, is The Decemberist’s record The Crane Wife. I’ve had this album for quite some time, but have rarely gotten beyond a song or two before returning to Picturesque, not because I actually prefer the album over this one, but because I already know most of the songs on Picturesque. And since I already know the songs why move on when I could just sing along.

The Crane Wife is the band’s fourth LP and their first on a major label. I think most people wondered if what made the Decemeberist special would get lost or smothered in the big budget production of a major label. My opinion is that is simply not the case. The Decemberist rose to the occasion and put out an amazing album. Meloy has always been a strong, creative writer, making his carefully weaved stories the backbone of the band. This is no less true with The Crane Wife. There are not many writers out there today who can craft a wonderful, picture filled tale about eclectic characters and yet, Meloy is able to do so with ease. The Crane Wife is filled with Meloy's imaginative characters ranging from criminals to soldiers, lovers to butchers. Yet, while the storytelling is strong and central to the album, the music accompanying the tales is not just hidden in the backdrop. It’s not just your run of the mill, folk rock. The band’s music entices and moves the stories. You're easily sucked into the story and moved along by the music.



.

1 comment:

kellee said...

Ditto
I LoVE the decemberists! great music, thanks for introducing me :O)