Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Janis Joplin - Pearl


Well, if you followed this blog for the short time it was around last year, then you know I already posted this once before. Nevertheless, one should always put on a little Janis on the radio while going through San Francisco and since this is technically a new blog altogether, I will list it her as well.

I love Janis Joplin because my parents loved Janis Joplin; though, I suppose now that I'm older I have found my own reasons to enjoy her music. I remember with fondness my mom and sister turning up Summertime as we drove down the road, or my sister singing in her typical family out-of-tune style Mercedes Benz. With fondness, I recall my step-dad's garage band playing covers of Janis Joplin hits.

Pearl easily fits in with the great classic rock albums of all time. Joplin's sultry, yet raspy voice corresponds well with her backing band Full Tilt Boogie. Every song on the album is worth a listen. It's arguably the best record she put out. If you love good music... nay, if you love you're white girls saturated with the blues that burst forth through jarring wails and epic moans, Pearl is the album you need in your collection.

No comments: