Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Kutless- To Know That You're Alive



Kutless is the embodiment of what passes for Contemporary Christian Music these days. If you want to get an idea of what is being played over the "positive alternative" stations then look no further than Kutless; every other band sounds like them, or  they sound like every other band. I haven't decided if this is a compliment or not. I suppose it depends on if mainstream christian music is your thing. I will be frank, and tell you that it's not mine (but I have a feeling you probably know that based on the other bands I've put on the blog). With each passing year I grow more and more despondent to the fads that rise up within the Christian culture. 

As far as what is being played on Christian radio (bands like Kutless), well I am probably too harsh of a critic and am all too aware that there is not much these bands can do that would please me. I complain because they are too "soft-rock" and when they play music that's a little heavier, I complain because they are trying too hard to be like everything else on all the alternative radio stations. It's a no win situation with me. 

This got me thinking though, is it only mainstream christian music or are there any other genres that I dismiss so easily? I would say, I carry the same attitude about most of what is being played on country music stations these days as well. My problem, I guess, is that within christian and country music, there is so much to offer and can bring such a richness to what is being said in the songs that I have a hard time listening to these crappy songs that are more interested in reaching masses than saying something insightful or really have any depth.

As far as  Kutless, let me say first and foremost, it is very apparent that these guys are good musicians. Their talent shines throughout the album. Secondly, it is a big album. You can hear it in the production that these guys have stadiums and mega-churches on their horizion. This is not simply playing for a youth group or coffee shop album, no Kutless is thinking and playing for the Crusades and radio stations. And in the words of Seinfeld, "Not that there is anything wrong with that."

The problem for me, besides the fact that I'm just not into their very well played music, is that their songs are really shallow. It seems at times that they're concerned more with rhyming than actually saying anything meaningful about theology or the Christian life. Consider this, a band that is in-your-face Christian, singing about theology and the spiritual life, and in many of their songs are talking about or to God, only mention Jesus in one stanza. I'm not saying there is some quota for how many times a band should say the name of Jesus in song, but it seems that in lieu of Jesus or the Holy Spirit they tended to use personal pronouns. Here are the Lyrics for the song The Rescue:

I don’t know what’s happening
Everything around me has come crashing to the ground
It’s here I see my need
In all the devastation
I’m praying for a miracle, help me to escape
Again

My life is a mass destruction
You’re pulling me from the mess I’m in
You take me away
There’s glass in the air I’m breathing
Somehow my heart keeps beating till
You take me away

Will you send an angel
A ray of sunlight shining through the darkness of my world
That's falling down on me
You are my salvation
The only one to rescue me from the torment that I’m in
Again

My life is a mass destruction
You’re pulling me from the mess I’m in
You take me away
There’s glass in the air I’m breathing
Somehow my heart keeps beating till
You take me away

Goodbye my hurting
Goodbye my needing
Goodbye my worries
Goodbye to all of my bleeding

My life is a mass destruction
You’re pulling me from the mess I’m in
You take me away
There’s glass in the air I’m breathing
Somehow my heart keeps beating till
You take me away



The song is about a person's life falling apart and they are crying out to God in their time of need, at least I think that is what it is. Is this a song about God and his creation or about any relationship?  Maybe the songwriter has a girl on his mind and how he really needs her in his life. Or maybe, this christian band is trying to be more marketable.

That's my rant. On the other hand, let me say again if this is your style of music, then I don't think you're going to go wrong by getting this album. In fact, I'll say it is a good record for what it was intended for and that's to get on positive alternative or maybe just alternative radio.



No comments: