Sunday, May 30, 2010

Green Day- Kerplunk












I have never been a big fan of Green Day, but I do remember back so very long ago, a friend of mine loaned me his cassette tape of Kerplunk and thinking it was pretty amazing. I’m pretty sure I bootlegged myself a copy which was probably eaten by my crappy stock tape player in my Honda Accord. But sometime shortly thereafter, Dookie came out and I had moved on in my life. Dookie may have been hailed as a monumental success, but none of their hit songs grabbed my soul. Green Day’s Dookie take it or leave it. Kerplunk on the other hand was and still  is a top notch album. 
 
Simply put,  there is just something to be said for this album. This was the record that stirred up the underground swell of excitement for the band. It was the record that grabbed the attention of the major labels and launched the bands career. So by all accounts it has to be a good record. What makes the record so good is that the band sounded great doing what is does best…pop-punk. This is prior to the days of them trying everything  from ska to power ballads to rock operas. At this point the band was still very young, but played like seasoned vets, though, they stumble to the finish line a couple of times with weaker songs in the middle, but over all great catchy pop-punk. listening to this album, it's easy to see why they were the kings of the genre.



Songs to Check Out:


2000 light years away
one For The Razorbacks
Welcome to Paradise
80
Android


Songs to Stay Away From:


Dominated Love Slave -Meant to be comical-filler, but is more annoying than anything else.


No comments: